Things are pretty busy here at Wyrd and Wired – my first show of the year is in barely over a week. And just about every year, I find myself rethinking how I want to display my work.
For science fiction conventions, my space is usually a standard 6 foot table. The amount of space behind the table varies from show to show, so I really have to think about how the work will display on the table. Levels are necessary – people don’t tend to look down, and there is only so much you can display without shelves or something to be more space efficient. Plus, flat is boring.
So, here were a couple of things I needed to consider while getting my display ready this year:
– More versatile display. I expect to be doing more types of shows this year. I have both conventions and craft shows. This year, I even have an application out to a renaissance faire. So I need a display that will work at different shows.
– Coordinating my display with crafty friends. As part of the effort to do more shows this year, I will be doing some shows sharing booth space with a friend. His displays are more rustic, so I need to both stand out, and look like our complete booth would go together.
– Make the jewelry the star. After a full year of my new branding, I felt like the bright colors were overwhelming my work, especially from a distance. The bright blue will still feature prominently, on my jewelry cards, prices, and table clothes, but with everything else I’ve gone a bit more muted.
– Let the work explain itself. I do a lot of explaining of my jewelry. The uses of recycled materials need to be pointed out. The materials are featured. And even though everything is tagged, I regularly answer price questions. Anything that can help cut down on the explanations and let the work shine is an improvement.
– Ease of Set Up. This is a never ending project for improvement. Finding the balance between an interesting display and one that is easy is always a challenge.
So, here’s what I have come up with to address these thoughts:
I think I’m in pretty good shape. What do you think of the new display ideas? I’m all excited for the convention season to begin again!